Old June 11th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.philosophy.atheism,gac.physics.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.astronomy,sci.astro.planetarium
[email protected]

Default What is Gravity?

Blah, blah, blah...

As usual, the baboons are
on the wrong question.

There was once a report that some
guys (Wright by name) were doing some
serious stuff with heavier-then-air
flight. And a major newspaper reporter
was dispatched to check on it. Well,
he couldn't find the right (Wright) place;
so he stopped to ask directions from
a farmer. And, suddenly, as they were
talking, the Wright's plane swooped by
over them. Astonished, the reported cried
out: "What the hell was THAT?!?!" To
which the farmer replied, "Oh, that's just
one of them Wright brothers--they think
they're gonna invent a flying machine."
(True story.)

The proper question to ask is not whether
my nose is hairy & ugly. But whether the
airplane flies or not.

I've shown 50 ways it does. I've NEVER seen
a hint of anybody showing it don't. Not once
.... in these last EIGHT years. Love,

S D Rodrian
http://poems.sdrodrian.com
http://thesolutionisthis.com
http://mp3.sdrodrian.com

All religions are local.
Only science is universal.

On Jun 10, 11:48 am, The Magpie wrote:
)))' Orange Peel '((( wrote:

oc Was there a word for Earth's attraction? Or did Newton coin the
word when the apple hit him on the head? We feel the force of gracity
the moment we fall out of the womb. Sunbeam+Bert

Technically, there is no such word and also Newton never did claim
that mass attraction is what forms the gravitational force. What it
was that Newton showed was that the *apparent* attraction towards a
"centre of mass" (not mass) was inversely proportional to the square
of the distance from that centre of mass, provided that there is no
other centre of mass nearby to exert a similar effect.

This is the basis for one of the many MOND Theories (_MO_dified
_N_ewtonian _D_ynamics) of gravitation. Using the original
calculations, it has been presumed that the attraction is associated
with the net mass at a specified "centre" AND the net mass in all
other directions around that centre at an equal distance from the
centre of mass - gravity may "push" from outside or "pull" from inside
but in either case is proportional to all the mass around the object.

Apparently, it can better account for the observed motion of the
Viking craft at the edge of the Solar System, but the maths is horrible.