Old October 25th 03, 06:14 AM

Default MSNBC: "Space station mission opposed"

Great---now it's "Princess Bride" flashbacks.

But seriously, if these problems were just an isolated bit of teething
trouble in adapting to the new circumstances, maybe it could be treated as a
wait-and-see set of inconveniences. But it's apparently a progressive
deterioration of ISS hardware due to lack of sufficient cargo capability to
maintain the station and replace broken equipment. What else is past due
for maintenance or replacement, ready to break down at any moment? And
that's not all---

Does anybody remember when the station unexpectedly lost it's entire
quadruply-redundant computer system (what was it? Conflicts with partially
tested robot arm software?) I've personally seen EVA support hardware for
the US airlock that wouldn't make the shelf at Wal-Mart (a popular US
department store chain, in case that doesn't translate). I'm sure there are
many more examples of hacked-together, fix-it-when-we-get-to-orbit
workmanship, but it's already past my bedtime. And that was when ISS was
well-supplied and in its "prime", with regular shuttle flights. How long is
it going to take for the ISS to simply run out of luck?

JJ Robinson II
Houston, TX
****************
* JOKE *
****************
* SERIOUS *
* SARCASTIC *
* OTHER? *

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

Once again, it's clear that NASA can't buy a clue:

Not even remotely.
---clip---