Old September 1st 19, 08:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Interview John Bilcow on the Work to a Next Generation Space Station

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 9:58:58 AM UTC-4, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

Atom computers built in low g opens the world of ultrafast
computation. good for encryption cracking and physics computation.

In theory.

The world of molecular theory for use in cancer therapy
also benefits.

In theory.

Now, I'm not saying microgravity research is bad, because it's clearly a
"good thing". But your statements read like the ones from the 1950s
that said everything would be run by nuclear power by the end of the
20th century. You can open up a Popular Mechanics magazine from the 50s
and there are cutaway drawings of watches with "atomic batteries". That
clearly didn't happen.

Jeff

Atom computers use single atoms as the signal. IBM
has successfully built an atom shuffling array of
atoms on a cold copper plate. Constructing a computer
algorithm as its own array is a topic I can't debate.

Regardless, the capacity to move single atoms at a time
and forming arrays is speculative as concerns orbital construction's
benefits.