Old February 3rd 05, 06:12 PM
Sy Liebergot

IMO, the primary reason that The Outpost gained notoriety was that
George Abbey (former JSC Director)and his entourage of cronies
(astronauts, etc) started going there. One could enhance his career by
sucking up to Abbey.
Happily, I was not one of them. Since most of that entourage have
retired and/or moved on, the place has lost its 'luster.' And no, the
Singin' Wheel stories that I omitted from my book will never find their
way into print.
Sy

OM wrote:
On 3 Feb 2005 09:15:45 -0800, "Sy Liebergot"
wrote:

However, the real history took place in The Singin' Wheel down the

road
a bit. This was the "Pancho Barnes Happy Bottom Riding Club" for the
Apollo Flight Controllers and their astronaut friends. It stands

empty
today and I was told recently that the owners of the property are
asking $680K, and that the "worthless POS building should be torn
down." I devoted Chapter 36 of my autobiography to the Singin'

Wheel,
but a lot of stories could not be told.

...You know, when I get around to getting OMWorld revamped(*), I

could
be easily pursuaded to proved space for some of those untold

accounts.
Unless, of course, they're stories that should not be told *out* of
school :-)

(*) Cue Pat to go "well, OM, if you weren't spending all your time
photographing strippers with their clothes *on*, you'd -have- more
time."

Everytime The Outpost owners have problems, they appeal for

money--us
old Flight Controllers shoulda started a fund and bought the Wheel a
long time ago..

...Off the record, I dropped by the Outpost during the last JSC trip
just before NYE, and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. Lots of
memorabilia, but the few patrons that were there *and* the guy - at
least, I *think* it was a guy - behind the bar stared at me and my
brother like we were bugs in a jar. Needless to say, we didn't stay
long.
OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr