Old January 29th 05, 05:40 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Default Outpost, a longtime NASA tavern, damaged by fire

A part of space history dodged a bullet this morning...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3013830

Outpost, a longtime NASA tavern, damaged by fire
By THAYER EVANS
Chronicle correspondent

WEBSTER -- An electrical short in a neon sign is being blamed for an early
morning blaze today that caused $15,000 worth of damage to a popular bar
and grill frequented by NASA employees.

The Outpost Tavern, located at the corner of NASA Parkway and Egret Bay
Boulevard, was closed when it caught on fire about 4:50 a.m., Webster Fire
Chief Jamie Galloway said.

He said the fire started outside on the building's east side and spread to
an attic before being extinguished by firefighters. The cause is likely to
be electrical from the wiring of a neon sign, Galloway said.

The blaze damaged an 18-foot-by-25-foot section of the structure's roof and
smoke from the fire did minor harm to the bar's vast collection of NASA
memorabilia, but many of the items are salvageable, said Stan Aden, 50, who
along with his wife, Sharon, owns the Outpost.

The 24-year-old red barn-like pub, which was once military barracks at
Ellington Field during World War II, has been featured in movies such as
Space Cowboys and Rocket Man.

"It could have been a lot worse," Aden said. "We really dodged a bullet. If
the fire started on the inside, we wouldn't be standing here right now."

Aden said the bar was insured, but not for the amount of money it will take
to repair it. He said he would like to have the Clear Lake landmark
reopened for business in time for the Super Bowl on Feb. 6.

"We're going to need some help," Aden said. "We're going to have to work on
the money. We'll get things rolling again, we hope."

Donations to rebuild the bar can be made at the Outpost or by mailing them
to P.O. Box 391, League City, Texas, 77574.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.