Old November 27th 03, 01:18 PM
Sally

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
multi-blackholes? Could supernova explosions make sure that no life in
the universe can last more than 25 million years(scary thinking) for
that only gives the life on earth about another 20 million years to go.
I'm naturally talking intelligent life. A supernova explosion in our
galaxy can show life in the galaxy how fragile it is. With only 20
million years to go I would think mankind should start thinking of
packing up and finding a safer area of the cosmos. Bert

On the subject of life, intelligent life.

Maybe the reason that we humans seem to be alone is that we are alone...at
this time. The visible universe is so vast that intelligent life has almost
certainly evolved many times in the past. After all, it happened here so it
is possible, given the right conditions. However...maybe intelligent life
*does* keep popping up all over and then promptly gets extinguished again by
nearby events such as supernova explosions.

Does anybody have any guesstimates of how common these life extinguishing
events might be? Maybe it is just an unfortunate fact that they are just as
common, or more common, than the appearance and evolution of life. I hope
not.

Sally