Old July 29th 06, 01:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mike Ruskai

Default Why are we orbiting around the sun not towards it?

On or about 28 Jul 2006 20:15:54 -0700 did
dribble thusly:

How come we are not going towards the sun? Sun gravity is so powerful
that every nature satellite is orbiting around it (with the expection
of smaller satellites like moons). I am wondering how come planets are
not going towards the sun.

I am sure my question may sound bit silly to some people.

You're basically asking what an orbit is.

The planet *is* moving towards the sun. But it's also moving sideways
(i.e. perpendicular to the imaginary line connecting the planet and
the sun).

Think of it as moving a little bit closer to the sun, then being moved
sideways until it's the same distance it was before, but at a
different angle.

Satellites (i.e. moons) orbit the sun as well. If they didn't, they
certainly couldn't be orbiting their planet, which itself is orbiting
the sun.
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.