Old August 1st 05, 08:50 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:26:36 -0500, Derek Lyons wrote
(in article ):

(George William Herbert) wrote:

Foam on the outside does both jobs. Foam on the inside of the tanks
would help prevent water ice buildup on the outside, but not help
with ascent heating.

Huh? Insulation is insulation - it prevents heat transfer. It's not
a one way mirror.

D.

I think GWH means ascent heating effects on the structural materials.
Internal insulation would protect against boil-off of cryogens, but
would do nothing to assist with the effects of heat weakening the
airframe of the tank.

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."