Old June 14th 05, 03:46 PM
John D. Tanner

Default The Open University - Astronomy Residential Course

A unique opportunity to experience and practice the scientific
exploitation of CCD astronomy, under professional supervision in a
unique Mediterranean setting with fellow astronomy enthusiasts.

SXR208 “Observing the Universe” (http://courses.open.ac.uk/sxr208/) is
an Open University course that caters for amateur astronomers who would
like to get first-hand experience in the techniques and tools used in
modern professional astronomy and planetary science.

The core of this course is a one-week residential school at the
Observatori Astronòmic de Mallorca (http://www.oam.es/), in the rural
heart of the Mediterranean island of Mallorca. Facilities at the
observatory include seven teaching domes with fully networked 12 inch
telescopes, a teaching laboratory, computers with data-analysis
software, and a state-of-the-art planetarium. The main observatory
building houses three larger telescopes used for research projects.
Prior to the residential weeks the students study the introductory
textbook Observing the Universe (Cambridge University Press).

For details on the course and what is involved go to:
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C02SXR208

The course fee includes half-board hotel accommodation in single rooms
for one week, and six nights of tuition at the observatory.

Due to the popularity of this course, we have had to make another week
available in early September 2005 (registration closes on 15th July).

*******
Sorry for the length (10 lines) but there was quite a lot to say! If
anyone wants any more information then please feel free to email me or
the right direction.

Regards,
John
http://physics.open.ac.uk/~jdtanner