Old December 20th 18, 04:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default earth tilt to 45 deg?

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:41:07 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:

Chris L Peterson wrote in
m:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:02:48 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 1:46:05 PM UTC-8, Chris L
Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:34:46 -0800 (PST),

What would happen if the Earth's tilt would shift to 45 deg
suddenly or in a short period of time? Would we survive?

Humans are as adaptable as rats and cockroaches. But I
imagine a few billion would die, and all our civilization
and social structures would collapse.

(It is likely that our Moon is what has kept the tilt of the
Earth's axis so stable. Mars, for instance, has seen much
wider swings.)

Well, 500 years ago, earth's population was around 500
million, now 7 billion! 200 years ago , industrialization
caused the exponential population growth! Going back to 1/2
billion would be a normal thing, I think!

I'm all for a reduction of the human population back down to a
billion or less.

You volunteering to go first?

I guess you're unfamiliar with the meaning of "attrition".

Feel free to attrit the hell out of yourself, son. Really, go for
it.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland: