Old September 18th 18, 10:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX moon flight

In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:26:15 AM UTC+2, William Elliot wrote:

BFR? Bare Foot Rocket?

Without visiting the SpaceX website, and drawing on my more juvenile
side, I rather suspect the acronym is more in line with the BFG from
the original Doom computer game. And no it wasn't a Big Friendly
Giant, or a Big Friendly Gun.

This is absolutely the case. They've changed it to Big Falcon Rocket
and Big Falcon Spaceship, for obvious reasons.

It's been shrinking a bit though. As announced last night, starting out
with identical engines in BFR and BFS hurts performance of BFS a bit.
But, it's a reasonable simplification to allow BFS to test fly without
BFR. And it will provide a minimum path to a viable vehicle. Musk did
say that later some of the BFS engines could be swapped to a vacuum
version for more performance.

Sounds a lot like they're aiming for a BFR/BFS 1.0 that's as simple as
possible to get it flying as soon as possible.

Still, Musk says it might cost anywhere between $2 and $10 billion to
develop (he initially said $5 billion when asked how much it would cost
to develop). Sounds about right.

Jeff