Old October 22nd 03, 12:56 AM

Default 'Confidential' Internal Report Slams NASA Life Science Research

"James Oberg" wrote in message
.. .
'Confidential' Internal Report Slams NASA Life Science Research
Keith Cowing, NASA Watch -- STATUS REPORT
Date Released: Monday, October 20, 2003
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=10726
Internal Report Paints Bleak Picture of Human Life Science Research at

NASA
Editor's note: the following document was generated in 2003 for internal

use
at NASA Johnson Space Center.

Uh oh---somebody is in serious danger of "getting it" with regards to NASA
Life Science experimentation. It will take some time to wade through 100
pages to be sure.

I can personally attest to the poor scientific and statistical methodology
used in this experimentation (I once used a very basic "t"-test to
demonstrate the valid duration of a dilution marker---my civil-service
counterparts responded as though I were performing magic). The experimental
hardware I saw (and
sometimes worked on) ranged from badly maintained to fraudulent. It is
also clear that NASA's refusal to regularly submit to effective independent
scientific peer review makes much of their experimentation questionable or
useless.

They have been performing the same haphazard mix of make-work tests on
unfortunate (and probably helpless) astronauts for 30 years. Where are the
effective countermeasures for prolonged spaceflight? Such things are
improbable---NASA would have to actually make spaceflight one of its
priorities to accomplish them. The real tragedy is that men and women are
placing their lives at risk (or worse) to obtain these data.

JJ Robinson II
Houston, TX
* JOKE *
* SERIOUS *