Old September 20th 05, 12:35 PM
Douglas Holmes

"S. Wand" wrote in message
I think I read that CEV would be 5.5m across the base of the heat shield,
compared to 3.9m for Apollo. I haven't seen any figures on internal
volume
yet. I'd guess it'd be a bit smaller per person than the shuttle.

I think a large CEV is fine for the lunar missions - but for ISS rendevous
Soyuz-class vehicle is sufficient. I'm sure it's too much money for NASA
have another vehicle - but hopefully they'd consider private industry at
some point for the LEO market. Wishful thinking...

The capsule appears to be about 18-20 m3 and mass about 9,000 kg.

With appropriate amounts of fuel about 18 mt to ISS, 15mt without escape
system (unmanned).

A little heavy but not as bad as I feared.