Old October 18th 16, 01:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Latest candidate for SpaceX pad explosion

In article om,
says...

On 2016-10-18 00:23, Fred J. McCall wrote:

freezing point). Some of the super-chilled LOX could have gotten into
the COPV and then frozen. As tank pressure went up, the solid oxygen
could not be squeezed back out of the overwrap and detonated with the
carbon composite wrapping. This breeched the helium pressurization
tank, overpressuring the LOX tank and things go up from there.

Is there a diagram somewhere ?

What is "COPV" ?

Composite overwrapped pressure vessel. Essentially a very thin metal
tank overwrapped by carbon fiber composite to make the tank strong and
light. The carbon fiber gives the tank its strength.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compos...ressure_vessel

If something is solid, does it care that pressure around it is
increasing? And while I am at it, are any liquids compressible ?

It does when it's an energetic solid oxidizer (can't get much more
energetic than solid oxygen) right next to a solid fuel (carbon fiber).
You do that and you have what is called a "contact explosive". The
increase in pressure would cause it to literally explode.

Jeff