Old October 17th 18, 11:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

In article ,
says...

On 2018-10-16 06:56, Jeff Findley wrote:

Not necessarily. If the lower QA was a result in worker dissatisfaction
due to not being paid on time (which has happened) then Roscosmos may be
blissfully unaware that something changed that they never intended.

Statistics showing higher failure rates should be "in your face" to
uppoer managemenrt that there is a quality assurance problem. If errors
increase for whatever reasons (such as workers being tires, not being
paid etc), it means that the Q/A is not detecting those errors and needs
to be improved.

The data is on Wikipedia for all to see. The failure rates over the
last 10 to 20 years are quite obvious.

And then with a proper Q/A, those doing it will go back to management
and tell them that it costs X% more to build the rocket because of all
the problems that need to be fixed, and all those problems are caused by
workers not being paid and being demoralized.

Unfortunately, hand-waving all of this isn't going to fix the Russian
cultural problems. IMHO, the rest of the world should just stop flying
payloads and people on Russian launch vehicles. If Russia complains,
tell them they just need a better trampoline. They'll get the reference
and it will **** them off to no end.

I used to think Russia was a reliable contributor to spaceflight, but
the data don't lie. They're not reliable anymore.

Jeff