Old January 8th 13, 01:04 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

Default How long does it take a white dwarf to be a brown dwarf?

On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:44:38 PM UTC-8, G=EMC^2 wrote:
There are 100,000 white dwarfs in the Milky Way. Have we ever found a

brown dwarf? Can a star with just the right density evolve directly

into a brown dwarf? Can a brown dwarf over say 2 trillion years evolve

into a black hole? Te Eskimo nebula I predict will be the first white

dwarf to go brown,and in less than 2 trillion years TreBert

Bert, you clearly don't know just what a brown dwarf is, I'm pretty sure. Read about them here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_dwarf

.... and you will learn that brown dwarfs are simply too small to ever become stars, they do not have enough mass to trigger fusion in their interiors, but they do have enough mass to generate interior heat, which is only detectable in the infrared.

Only a few of these guys have been verified, so far, not because they are rare, but because they are so hard to detect.

\Paul A