Old October 9th 12, 10:48 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Dragon - Why only 1001 pounds of cargo going up?

JF Mezei wrote on 10/9/2012 :

http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20121008 says:
##
Approximately one minute and 19 seconds into last night's launch,

[jfm continues:]
Would be interesting to know at what point (in seconds) after launch,
they can afford to lose an engine. Wouldn't engines still be needed at
100% thrust at that point in time ?

At 1m19s? Not necessarily. If you read the rest of the SpaceX
posting,
you'll see that they routinely shut down 2 engines earlier than the
others -- one of those "let's tailor the acceleration profile to not
smash anything or anyone on board" adjustments.

At what time they normally do that, and how much they throttle the
engines at what time, I'm not sure, but 1m19s is on the order of the
time the Shuttle would throttle for MaxQ.

I assume that they remained at 100% longer then planned in order to
achieve the delta-V that the first stage is supposed to give ?

Again, not necessarily. The total burn was longer than normal, but how
that affected the throttle settings may be more complex than you
assume.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?