Old November 6th 16, 09:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Emdrive might change the law of inertia (for the Earth too!)

On 11/6/2016 3:36 PM, David Spain wrote:

Null magnetic field present? Behavior characterized within a magnetic
field? Force direction affected by presence and orientation of magnetic
field?

The cited article, about this paper, says nothing [about that] - phrase
optional.

Dave

The actual link to the paper was in blue text w/o attribution. You have
to know to click on the blue text to get to the reference paper.

However once there, this looked old to me. There is no date on the paper
but the file name says 'Q-Thruster In-Vacuum Fall 2015 Test Report.pdf"
which puts it a year behind the DIY'ers over on the NasaSpaceFlight.com
forum.

Nevertheless, what I said originally stands. You know its not hard to
buy or build Helmholtz coils folks.

Dave

PS: Now OTOH if you can prove there is an all encompassing magnetic
field on the cosmic scale.... Well even if you can you probably don't
get much:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1005.1924

/quote
The observational and theoretical upper
bounds on IGMF constrain their magnitudes to be below 10−9
G (Barrow, Ferreira & Silk 1997), whereas any value above
∼10−30G is sufficient to explain the ∼μG Galactic magnetic
fields generation by the dynamo mechanism (Davis, Lilley & T ̈ornkvist
1999)
/end-quote

The above paper does not contain a glossary but I'm going with G==gauss.

As opposed to the Earth about which Google/Wikipedia says:
/quote
Its [Earth's magnetic field strength] magnitude at the Earth's surface
ranges from 25 to 65 microteslas (0.25 to 0.65 gauss). Roughly speaking
it is the field of a magnetic dipole currently tilted at an angle of
about 10 degrees with respect to Earth's rotational axis, as if there
were a bar magnet placed at that angle at the center of the Earth.
/end-quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiel...utf-8&oe=utf-8

But perhaps propulsion within our solar system? Weeeellll:

Again Wikipedia says:

/quote
The plasma in the interplanetary medium is also responsible for the
strength of the Sun's magnetic field at the orbit of the Earth being
over 100 times greater than originally anticipated. If space were a
vacuum, then the Sun's magnetic dipole field, about 10−4 teslas at the
surface of the Sun, would reduce with the inverse cube of the distance
to about 10−11 teslas. But satellite observations show that it is about
100 times greater at around 10−9 teslas [0.0001 gauss by my conversion,
just to keep apples to apples]. Magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) theory
predicts that the motion of a conducting fluid (e.g. the interplanetary
medium) in a magnetic field, induces electric currents which in turn
generates magnetic fields, and in this respect it behaves like a MHD dynamo.
/end-quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interp...magnetic_field

Not holding my breath.

Dave