Old October 19th 16, 03:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Emdrive might change the law of inertia (for the Earth too!)

On 10/18/2016 4:45 PM, wrote:
Shawyer is working with an unnamed UK aerospace company to develop his second
generation EM Drive, which he says will produce thrust many orders of magnitude
greater than that observed by NASA’s Eagleworks team or any other laboratory."

See:

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10...-patented.html

Seeing is believing. Well in this case not even seeing is believing.
I've seen videos of Shawyer's work twisting away on a torsion pendulum.
That older device design is known and has been replicated. However a
compass would do the same.

I don't know how patents work in the UK, but in the US a patent requires
full disclosure and reveal of how the device works. If a patent was
granted on it in the US the construction and method of operation must be
revealed. Thus everyone is free to replicate it, no one is free to
profit from it w/o a license.

However, patents are also often issued for things that do not work.
Patent examiners are not perfect. And legally there isn't really
anything wrong with a patent on a non-working invention. It's just not
very profitable.

There's a little too much secrecy here for my liking. For now I will say
it's borderline pathological science. Borderline, but the trend is not
encouraging....

Dave