Old August 14th 17, 11:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA Chief Retiree's "Save the Houston Control Room" Program

In article om,
says...

On 2017-08-13 18:07, Fred J. McCall wrote:

So you change all the hardware, but build a software emulator so that
you can run the old software? What's the point?

So you can run the missions with the recorded telemetry/voice/video
data, and with the software which controlled it back then.

Restoring the original hardware so you can power it on doesn't do much
good unless you can actually run the missions. Otherwise, you just have
everything turned on on stand=by because there is nothing actually running.

So it is more important to be able to run the software with the original
telemetry data to recreate the missions than to have the authentic
restored hardware (in my opinion).

The public isn't going to know the difference between a few blinking
lights and running "original telemetry data" on restored hardware. Just
run some convincing audio over some loudspeakers and no one will ever
know the difference, except for a few people who remember it happening
and even fewer space history buffs. Yes it's sad, but it's true.

Hell, look at this abomination created to promote the NASA KSC Visitor's
Center:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/kennedy/2017/...-help-visitor-
complex-kick-off-new-mars-exhibit/

If you look at who made it, it was done by a company that does
automotive movie props and custom motorcycles. That and large flat
windows with corners?!?!? Anyone remember the Comet airliner? Clearly
they didn't consult a single aerospace engineer, yet if you read
people's comments on the thing, they're all excited about it, even
though it's a complete Hollywood style fabrication.

Jeff