Old February 27th 14, 04:05 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

Default ISS EVA-23 Suit Water Intrusion Mishap Investigation Board Report

One quick comment then I have to get back to work.
Hopefully this weekend I will have time to read this more thoroughly and
may have something more substantial to contribute.

One thing to mention which I did not find (yet) fully described in the
PDF document but was mentioned in the audio to the affiliated press
conference by Mr. Gerstenmaier. The PDF document has been redacted for
public release due to ITAR restriction placed on some of the "sensitive"
text and drawings. That means some of the drawings and text in the
previously linked document have been blanked out on purpose. You cannot
beat up NASA for following the law. They are doing the best they can.

I suspect if you write to the NASA PAO there is probably a procedure in
place for American citizens to obtain the non-redacted version. Proof of
citizenship and perhaps a statement of awareness and commitment to abide
by the ITAR regulations may also be required. (Which means no
republishing to the Internet unless you are willing to invite legal
prosecution and risk the very real possibility of financially crippling
fines and jail).

However, this won't prevent *me* from making the snide observation that
ITAR restrictions on technology already aboard the ISS and presumably
whose functionality has already been fully disclosed to the Russians is
somewhat amusing, but I suppose typical for government wheels that turn
slowly. I'm assuming here of course that Russian crew members have been
fully briefed and trained on the EMU. Unless the ISS is "Balkanized" to
the point only Americans or citizens of ITAR sanctioned countries can
don EMUs and the Russians have to fend for themselves. Somehow I don't
think that's the way it really works on ISS tho... :-)

Dave