Old December 3rd 18, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 18:00:00 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

In many contexts, "day" is reasonably assumed to mean "solar day", but
I don't see the problem if the context makes it clear what kind of day
is under discussion (and the word "day" in isolation is always
ambiguous in meaning).

Basically, although I recognize what he is wrong about, I still would stand with
Oriel on *this* point.

Earth's day is 24 hours. Period. Full stop.

Well, if you leave it there, I'd say you're guilty of the same thing
you're objecting to in the page you referenced. Because "day" is
ambiguous. If you're making a statement intended to be accurate,
intended to be clear, you need to qualify the word. There are
different kinds of days, and the one you are referring to is either
determined by qualification or it is determined by context. You
provide neither in your example. The page you are objecting to,
however, does. It is very clear that it is discussing "day" in the
sense of stellar day, that it is talking about the time to make one
rotation.