Old December 17th 16, 09:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default Outer space

From wrote:
If nature abhors a vacuum, why then is space pretty much a vacuum?Just got
thinking about it last night.

Your observation is excellent.

The ubiquitous saying...
"Nature abhors a vacuum" is a crock of ****.

It is only those extremely rare severely isolated pieces of the universe where matter has lumped together that serve as exceptions to the accurate rule:

Nature love a vacuum so much that you might as well name our entire universe 'Hoover'.

This is somewhat akin to that scifi author who found fault with naming our planet 'Earth'. There is much more water on its surface than there is dirt.. A more fitting name would be something like "Hydra" or "Aqua".

It is only from our human ego-centered perspectives that a name like 'Earth' is condoned. Also, only from that severely limited perspective can one spout a statement like "nature abhors a vacuum" and everyone buys into it as making any sense. It is a starkly humancentric hyper-limited expression of nature that this "rule" refers to.

~ CT