Old September 1st 07, 05:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,rec.radio.amateur.space,uk.sci.astronomy
Radium[_2_]

Default What is the highest radio frequency used for radio astronomy?

On Aug 30, 4:33 am, gwatts wrote:
Radium wrote:
Hi:

What is the highest radio frequency used for radio astronomy?

According to the link below, it is 3438 GHz:

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?re...=11719&page=11

Is 3438 GHz the highest radio frequency used for radio astronomy?

If you read on a little farther you'll find
'blurring the distinction between radio astronomy and infrared astronomy.'

So where do you want to draw the line between radio astronomy and
infrared astronomy? There's you're answer.

Sorry, I meant to ask whether 3,438 GHz is the highest radio frequency
used to receive audio signals from outer space. I should have made my
question more specific. Radio-astronomers study sounds from the sun as
well as visual data.

I wonder if a space station with a 3,438 GHz AM receiver could pick up
any extremely-distant audio signals between 20 to 20,000 Hz [from
magnetars, gamma-ray-bursts, supernovae and other high-energy but
cosmic objects] after demodulating the 3,438 GHz AM carrier wave.