Old January 16th 13, 01:50 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Largest structure found, challenges cosmological principle

On 15/01/2013 2:24 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:05:37 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote :

On 13/01/2013 4:51 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
There may have been multiple bangs, maybe even big and small ones,
just like we have many exploding [types of] stars.

I don't disagree, but what has this got to do with it?

Yousuf Khan

I could imagine 'debris' from one bang found in that of an other bang.

Oh well, that's not the same as my concept of ongoing "bangs". My
concept would be that there are ongoing bangs creating new universes all
of the time, except that they'd exist in their own space-time bubbles.
No intermingling with the previous universe, after the bang.

I do not remember who it was, but there was this well known scientist
few years ago who described a method how to find remains of other (possibly earlier?)
bangs.

I think these are the people behind the Ekpyrotic Universe concept, and
similar concepts, which envision a cycle of birth and death of
universes. They envision maybe being able to see an echo of the previous
universe based on patterns left over on the CMB in this universe. I'm
now thinking that people assign too much significance to the CMBR, and
see patterns where there aren't any.

There was even a sci-fi program, Stargate Universe, which was based on a
mission to find out what created a pattern in the CMBR. The pattern
discovered by an alien race which built an empty alien starship going to
explore the source of that mysterious pattern and now inhabited by a
human military research team. As I said too many people seeing patterns
in the sky.

OTOH 'random' fluctuations can take peculiar forms,
I have read that summary (chapter 4 IIRC),
and even they say it could just be a fluke.

The fluke covers about 0.3% of the surface area of the visible universe!
Quite a significant fluke. I'd love to see if they find others of
comparable or nearly comparable size (i.e. anything bigger than the
Cosmological Principle's theorized size).

Yousuf Khan