Old October 25th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Jim Davis

Default Questions about "The High Frontier"

Mike Combs wrote:

This big difference is that a person on an oil rig can pop back
and forth between it and land much more quickly and
inexpensively than a person working in HEO can pop back and
forth to Earth.

Coincidentally, this is one of the main reasons why we have oil
rigs but not SSP in HEO. Any SSP and/or space colonization scheme
presupposes enormous improvements in transportation costs.

But I think
part of my point was that a company might have a perfectly
selfish reason for wanting to provide their workers with decent
places to live

But your solution is to provide them with a *less* decent place to
live.

(namely, a desire to not have to train and
educate new recruits every two years because nobody wants to
stay with the company any longer than that).

?????

Why do you assume that nobody would want to stay with a company
that pays high wages for longer than two years?

Yeah, I'm aware that I'm arguing events will go in the direction
of my fondest dreams. So caution is called for.

Indeed.

Jim Davis