Old June 3rd 07, 06:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Russian space program -- book chapter conclusions

Scott Hedrick wrote:
"R.Glueck" wrote in message

I do recall a 1980's Nat. Geographic based solely on the superiority of the
Soviet space program.

*They* managed to send missions to Halley's Comet.

Outside of Voyager, those were the two most impressive missions done to
that time.
Our problem is that we went way overboard with our solar sail/ion drive
designs.
Since then, we've gone past them like they were standing still.
And those damn things on Mars are still functional and ready to crawl,
which ain't bad for a mission that would have been considered successful
if it went 90 days.

Pat