Old January 15th 05, 04:54 AM
starburst

It's not exactly fiction, but may I suggest "The Friendly Stars" by
Martha Evans Martin? It's very old, first published around the turn of
last century. Mrs. Martin writes about the stars in the constellations,
gives the lore of the stories in the sky, and gives some nice, though
now dated, scientific info. Great book for a kid, if memory serves.

Best - Chris

wrote:

Hi,

My 7-year-old is a reading fiend--and just got her first scope (6" Dob)
for Christmas. Now to combine the two.

Is there such a thing as good fiction (Hardy Boys reading level or
higher) that would relate to the stars that she is observing in an
interesting way--sort of star-gazing fiction? Or stories about
exploring those stars? Or...?

(I've been stargazing for a year and so have all the usual begining
books--"Turn Left," etc. So I'm just after fiction here...)

This question was promoted when I found an old paperback copy of
"Contact." I flipped through it to see if the "sex" scenes from the
film were in the book--didn't find the sex scenes but did see a lot
about the Cold War, of course. Didn't seem to be the right thing to
give her...

Thanks,

--Darin