Old November 1st 04, 06:09 AM
Brad Guth

Terraforming the moon requires an atmosphere that'll stick around.

Besides the supposed 2e5 population of atoms/cm3 that NASA/Apollo
stipulates as having been available, whereas at 5 atoms/cm3 being what
recent CCD cameras were capable of detecting as a final trail of sodium
atoms created by meteor impacts vaporising basalt, and if those trailing
sodium atoms having managed to be detected as 2 atoms/cm3 out past
900,000 km behind the moon, as such being initially impact created and
then blown off the moon in part by the 30 km/s headway, and otherwise by
solar winds of better than 600 km/s, as then lo and behold there's
surely an indirect method of our extrapolating upon the near surface
populations of these freshly created sodium atoms.

I've asked of others to share in whatever they think this revised
population could represent, though all I ever obtained was their
pro-NASA/Apollo or bust contributions. However, if we utilized the
square of the distance as based upon establishing the ever increasing
atom population as this impact induced cloud of sodium nears the lunar
surface, this seems like a viable though make-do analogy that's
perfectly acceptable, and whereas the following values become
sufficiently true.

@900,000 km = 5 atoms/cm3
@450,000 km = 20 atoms/cm3
@900.0 km = 5e6 atoms/cm3
@900 meters = 5e12 atoms/cm2
@0.9 meters = 5e18 atoms/cm3

Of course there's most likely other than just the likes of sodium to
being created via meteor impacts. Surely a few lighter than basalt
sodium(Na2O 3.34%) and of those atoms much heavier of basalt silica(SiO2
59%) should also have been vaporised into action. Since heavier atoms of
perhaps oxygen, argon and CO2 (as nighttime dry-ice) are bound to
already exist, along with great numbers of silica and metallic
substances and just about anything other you can think of (possibly
Rn/radon) is somewhere to being found upon or within the lunar surface
that's hosting such a viable morgue of whatever the universe has had to
offer, whereas those elements heavier than sodium atoms should stick
around.

Unlike Earth, whereas the vast bulk of nearly everything that's headed
for us or within our path is either deflected and/or absorbed by our
atmosphere (smallest suff dealt with by our Van Allen zone of death), as
such not physically arriving upon nor accumulating for the billions of
years as the case with the lunar environment.

Everything from Venus spores to flying diatoms are surely to be included
within the collective matrix of all that's otherwise of random space
debris, from what's less than sand(dust-bunnies of 2 mg) to the remains
of serious bolder sized (100+kg) meteors that's been within the path and
gravity influence of the moon is in fact eventually collected by way of
impacting upon the lunar surface, that is if it wasn't just passing
through like the Leonid meteor(s), or hasn't been otherwise influenced
per arriving upon Earth.

What I'm suggesting, that perhaps we too should have been tossing loads
of stuff at our moon, the more the better, and especially since almost
anything that reaches the lunar surface impacts with such great velocity
and thereby interacts/reacts by essentially becoming mutually vaporised,
and if that effort should intentionally include the heavier sorts of
atoms within dry-ice(co2) and those elements within basalt that'll
likely stick around, this sort bombardment (natural or artificial) would
certainly add to the necessary atmospheric substance rather than
subtract.

Once there's even a slight atmosphere of 0.01 bar, and even if the depth
is relatively slight, this is absolutely good for accommodating reentry
and deployments of 4~5 times the payloads of what's being deilvered to
Mars. And, we need not have to breath this stuff, since most everything
should remain as robotics until we've established a suitable underground
abode, and/or the LSE-CM/ISS.

If you or you know of someone that can share some honest specifics, I'll
insure that folks receive all the credits for such. Although, if you've
got only mainstream flak to share, as that too I'll insure that you
receive all the credits possible, and then some.

Regards, Brad Guth / BBC h2g2 U206251
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/update-242.htm