Old September 24th 18, 03:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 8:43:48 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 06:11:40 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 4:11:07 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter

wrote:

Your failure to provide the evidence I asked for noted. And here
you also used the flawed argument "since you cannot disproved me,
must be right".

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

I presented probabilities that are almost certainty that civilizations
exist in the universe billions of years older than ours, and you
(dishonestly) prattle about "evidence."

Exactly what do you mean with "the universe billions of years old er
than our universe"?

The antecedent to "ours" is "civilization" not "universe."

I object to your conclusion "almost certainly" when there are no
known positive cases.

Reject all you want, but that's just your biases and prejudices speaking.
Anyone with a grasp of probability theory and no preconceived notions
would disagree with you.

Intelligent life exists on at least one place in our galaxy: here
on Earth. It may exist elsewhere too but we know nothing about that.

We DO have brains that can THINK. We deal with probabilities daily
much less certain than the probability of advanced civilizations.

You should read Aristotle's writings about nature as an example of
how erroneous conclusions a brain that THINKS can produce in the
absence of evidence. Such thinking is mostly wishful thinking.

Aristotle didn't have probability theory to guide him.

Isn't Satan supposed to be a fallen angel? Are angels not
deities?

If Satan isn't a deity it must be a mortal biological creature.
If so, Satan must be dead by now since it lived thousands of
years ago.

False dichotomy. Are angels "deities"? Were they created? Who
created them? What about "spirits"?

All these are supernatural deities with supposedly supernatural
powers...

Nope. You failed to copy the scriptural evidence I listed to promote
your preconceived notions.

"the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh" -- Numbers 27:16

"By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison"
-- 1 Peter 3:19

The next line I didn't list explains that the spirits referred to
were disobedient in the time of Noah. From this it is clear that after
death they became disembodied spirits who weren't "deities" since they
had to be preached to.

And YOU have a particular definition of "supernatural" that apparently
means "anything that physics hasn't encountered/detected." I reject
that definition :-)

There's a LOT of evidence that our own spirits exist, but it's mostly
anecdotal (I say MOSTLY but not ALL).