Old February 2nd 17, 03:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Default Give it away

On 01/02/2017 01:27, BogeyOne wrote:

Are you "telescoped out?" The symptom of which would be not having had
the urge to get under the night sky with your scope for a long time
(like years), then do something good with the expensive dust gatherer.

Selling it secondhand might also get it to someone who will appreciate
and actually use it or donating it to your local astro club. Some clubs
I know have more donated scopes than active observers to home them with
but smaller scopes are still welcome for younger observers.

Donate it to a school or give it to a young relative. The latter is what
I plan on doing with my mid-sized dobsonian. I have a 21 year old
grandson who will welcome it as soon as I can transport it a hundred
miles up the road to him.

I got my very first scope secondhand from someone that had got tired of
using it relatively quickly. My second a 10" LX200 was also secondhand
but from someone who was upgrading to a larger scope.

Not sure people always appreciate something that is given away as much
as something that they have bought at a bargain price. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown