Old August 21st 03, 03:53 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Default inefficient turbo-pumps and Isp

(Henry Spencer) :

In article ,
Greg wrote:
I know that this is the case for regeneratively cooled engines, the heat
taken out is still in the loop. So its no loss.
Am i correct? Can you get away with a very inefficient turbo-pump?

Yes and no. You're correct in thinking that the heat may not get lost,
although it may show up in unwanted places. More significantly, though,
an inefficient pump is likely to be a heavy pump, and pump mass can be
quite significant.

The pump may have not be heavy, one design I thought of but never built so
you can take it with a block of salt is a H2O2/Coleman Fuel rocket. The H2O2
is fully decomposed then used to spin the turbine. The turbo-pump pumps both
the peroxide to the catalyst pack and the fuel to the combustion chamber.
Since I did not get access to the needed milling station I was unable to
build it to test the idea. The main advantages in the design are the large
clearances between the turbine blades and the housings. Comments - be
mercyless please, I may try to build it later and if you see a major flaw I
would like to know it now.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to