Old July 19th 11, 01:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.tech
Peter Fairbrother

Default Dust down those orbital power plans

Bohica Bohica wrote:
On Jul 12, 9:17 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
The Australian Government has, for reasons that have much to do with
politics, and little to do with the environment, decided to throw $Au 10
billion into the bottomless pit that is renewable energy.

Lest it all get turned into yet more solar panels and windfarms, I
invite all comers to submit their plans for orbital power satellites. At
least then we might get some technological advance for our money, even
though I doubt we'd actually see any orbital power.

Sylvia.

You could make a **** load of parabolic reflectors aimed at the hot
part of a Stirling engine, these things are about 6m wide and produce
about 10Kw
A Spanish comp[any makes them. The main problem is the colour, all
shiny and not a bit og brown or green on them :-)

That's actually close to what the generating part of an orbital power
sat should be - lots of mirrors feeding sunlight to a Brayton cycle gas
turbine. Forget acres of solar cells, they are too heavy and too
expensive and too fragile.

A Brayton cycle engine in that size range is lighter than a Stirling
engine, no regenerator needed. Not as efficient, but cheaper and lighter
to launch.

-- Peter Fairbrother