Old July 1st 04, 01:48 AM
Ray

Default Maybe you sci.astro.amateur and sci.astro readers can explain this

"Common Man" wrote in message
news.com...
Note to the readers of sci.astro.amateur and sci.astro:

Pearl is a regular in the alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian newsgroup and
claims that the earth could be hollow. She goes on to claim that this
could have been caused by a rapidly spinning early earth. I've tried
to explain (without success) that such a rapidly spinning body would
flatten out rather than become hollow.

If any of you wish to take a crack at explaining this to her, feel
free.

For Pearl: Evidence that a rapidly spinning object would flatten out,
not become hollow.

See: http://www.govertschilling.nl/artike.../030612_sc.htm

You have overlooked one important factor - the strength of the earths crust.

Let us look at both scenarios and assume that the earth's inner core
consists of molten lava or some other malleable substance.

Take a tennis ball with a soft outer case, spin it up to say 5,000rpm and it
would indeed tend to flatten and not be sphere

Take a snooker ball and apply the same 5,000rpm and it would remain a
perfect sphere.

In either case the inner soft core would be driven by centrifugal force and
compacted towards the outer shell.

If we assume you are correct the earth would be not be circular, should
Pearl be correct the earth would remain a sphere.
The shape would be dependent upon the thickness and strength of the earth's
crust at the time of acceleration.

[BUT] In either case we are left with a central void, home to the inner
earth beings.

My argument is an extension of the above. The rotational speed was much
faster (say some 20,000rpm) and the earth was flattened out until it
resembled a disc i.e.
a 'Flat Earth'. The 'beings' still exist, but they live on the bottom side.

The 'beings are easily rerecognizable, they are about 4' tall, wear funny
hats, have shocking personal hygiene and a strong propensity to stalk and
verbally abuse woman. Their only contact with the real world is via a
strange force known as 'EarthLink'

They are best left alone.

This also explains the extinction of the dinosaurs - the poor buggers were
cast into outer space.

It also serves to illustrate the serious side effects of almost 5 years
posting to this newsgroup.