Old September 21st 20, 04:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Life on Venus? Astronomers See a Signal in Its Clouds

In article ,
says...

So you have a sci-fi floating station in Venus atmosphere held up by
some balloons. With X number of people in it.

1- How would people go from Earth-Venus spaceship to land on that
floating station?

Is there a way to go from orbit down to whatever altitude that station
is and land vertically after having lost all horizontal speed?

Obviously you can't land on top of the balloon, you have to somehow
attach to the HAB that's dangling below it. A Zeppelin like ship
wouldn't be much different. You still put the HAB on the bottom.

Sparrowhawk biplane docking with an airship
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/236016836691790510/

USS Macon & Sparrowhawks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoEQRl8dCs

Parasite aircraft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_aircraft

If by using atmpsphere to kill your orbital/horizontal speed you end uip
at altitude lower than the station, then you end up needing a lot of fuel.

Could deploy a balloon for buoyancy.

If you de-orbit, and then inflate a balloon at some point to not only
keep you above station altitude but also aerobrake you, then you need a
good ballon that won't burn up. (and need materials that won't be
destroyed by the acid in atmpsphere)

It seems to me that if you can solve how to land on the floating
platform, you have also figured out how to get off from it and back into
space.

All except for the delta-V required. Launching from Venus, even at a
high altitude, is going to be at least as hard as launching from earth,
IMHO. Similar gravities and similar issue with air drag.

Jeff