Old December 31st 08, 12:24 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default New Columbia loss report out today

Matt wrote:

The folks who did this report and the CAIB and Challenger ones are
infinitely more qualified than I am, but I just don't get why this was
not, at the least, a post-Columbia mod.

I'm still trying to figure out the oxygen in cabin fire hazard part...
if they only went over to suit oxygen when they first started to
interface with the atmosphere and back to cabin air once they had
decelerated to under, say, Mach 2...then one wouldn't think there would
be enough time for a excessive oxygen situation to develop, as this all
takes under half an hour.

Pat