Old April 26th 12, 03:53 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default Apollo question

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:43:07 -0400, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:

wrote in message news

How much room was in the Apollo capsules? I've seen diagrams, and recently
purchased a very nice scale model of a capsule which has a removeable hatch
and
quite a detailed interior, but it doesn't look like there's much room.
Reason I
ask is that in many videos I've seen, it appears the crew is moving around
without a problem. Did the seat stow away when not needed? How about the
instrument panels? Were the moveable? How did they get out through the
hatch to
the LEM? Thanks.

It had an interior volume of 6.2m^3.

The seats did stow away after launch and there was a lot of room beneath
them. (In fact enough room to add two seats for the "rescue" CSM that was
prepped for Skylab.

The instrument panels did not move. They did not use the hatch to get to
the LEM. There was a tunnel that went through the nose of the capsule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...or_arrangement

and
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/apolocsm.htm

are good references.

Thanks. Good links. And I guess I used the wrong word in "hatch". I know they
didn't go out the hatch to get to the LEM. I just wondered if the tunnel to the
LEM was always unobstructed or if they had to move anything to get to it.