Old November 16th 18, 02:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Exoplanet discovered around neighbouring star

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 22:07:42 -0800 (PST), palsing
wrote:

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 9:12:34 PM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Any number of $1500 mounts will do the same these days.

Well, no such mounts for my 25" Obsession dob :).

Yup. You want to move something like that around, you need some
serious hardware. I drive around a big tracking equatorial carrying a
pair of scopes, 16" and 12". Not goto but motorized. Loosen the
clutches, push to the approximate position, and fine tune with the
hand paddle. Used to play star hopping games (which I hate), but now I
have an old smartphone strapped to the side of the 16" tube, and its
gravity sensor let me position the scope accurately enough that my
target is always near the center of the eyepiece, just reading the
numbers. A setting circle system that looks directly at the scope
position, not the mount at all. You can slap that on a Dob.