Old January 28th 15, 05:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

Default SpaceX Falcon Heavy Flight Animation

Jeff Findley wrote:
The one thing I doubt we'll see in the test launch is all three of
the first stage cores landing at the launch site. As far as I know,
SpaceX does not yet have permission to land a core at The Cape. I'd
imagine permission to land three (two almost simultaneously) in
relatively close proximity will take an additional level of
permission beyond that.

Heck, I doubt we'll see even one landing at the launch site. On the
barge at sea, sure. The luddite in me would even wonder if there
would be any first stage landing attempt on the first Falcon Heavy
launch in the first place. Particularly if the first launch intends
to demonstrate to the USAF/NRO/et al the maximum mass-to-orbit
capabilities.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Heavy

SpaceX has indicated that the Falcon Heavy payload performance to
geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO) will be reduced by addition of
the reusable technology, but would fly at much lower launch
price. With full reusability on all three booster cores, GTO
payload will be 7,000 kg (15,000 lb). If only the two outside
cores fly as reusable cores while the center core is expendable,
GTO payload would be approximately 14,000 kg (31,000 lb).[34]
"Falcon 9 will do satellites up to roughly 3.5 tonnes, with full
reusability of the boost stage, and Falcon Heavy will do
satellites up to 7 tonnes with full reusability of the all three
boost stages," [Musk] said, referring to the three Falcon 9
booster cores that will comprise the Falcon Heavy's first
stage. He also said Falcon Heavy could double its payload
performance to GTO "if, for example, we went expendable on the
center core."

If the specs in the box on the right of that page are accurate, going
fully expendable means 21,200 kg to GTO.

rick jones