Old May 29th 11, 01:51 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Henry Wilson DSc.

Default Simple question about speed of force.

On Sun, 29 May 2011 00:11:36 +0100, "Androcles"
wrote:

"Henry Wilson DSc." ..@.. wrote in message
.. .
| On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:46:52 -0700 (PDT), Darwin123
| wrote:
|
| On May 27, 9:18 pm, "Peter Webb" So you don't know either?
|
| Why do cranks invent meaningless terms?
| I don't think the phrase "speed of force" is really meaningless.
| However, a single force can't literally have a speed. I think they are
| referring to the delay between the action and the reaction.
| General rule for all mechanics: For every action, there is a
| reaction. In other words, if body 1 exerts a force on body 2, then
| body 2 exerts a force on body 1 that is equal in magnitude but
| opposite in direction. However, what varies with the mechanics is the
| delay between these two forces.
| 1) According to Newton's Laws of mechanics, there is no delay between
| the action and the reaction. Both forces are simultaneously equal in
| magnitude and opposite in direction.
| 2) According to Maxwell's equations, there is a finite time delay
| between the action and the reaction when electromagnetic fields are
| involved. The forces at different times are equal in magnitude and
| opposite in direction.
| 3) According to SR, there is a finite time delay between the action
| and the reaction always. The forces at different times are equal in
| magnitude and opposite in direction.
|
| When people are talking about the "speed of a force", they are
| generally talking about the distance between the two bodies and the
| time delay between action and reaction. In GR, the "speed" both
| electromagnetic force and gravity is "c".
| According to
|
| The speed of gravity

Suppose I place two bar magnets on my desk just far enough apart
so that they do not move, and any lesser distance will result in them
snapping together. Let us call this distance D.
I now tap the desk lightly and the vibration varies the friction between
the desk surface and the magnets. SNAP! The magnets fly together.
It takes a finite time for the magnets to move a distance D to a
distance zero, so we'll call that t.
When they were D apart, resting for an hour before I tapped, what
was the speed of force between them?
i) Everybody knows it was c
ii) it was the speed of magnetism
iii) it was infinite
iv) obviously it is D/t
v) obviously it is D per hour.
vi) force is instantaneous, it doesn't have a speed.
vii) Blind Judas Rosen doesn't think.
viii) Duckfoot hasn't got a ****ing clue either.
ix) Henry Wilsone hasn't got a ****ing clue either.

Silly old pommie engineer type question...

Probably the best indicator of the speed of gravity is the anomalous
precession of the perihelion of Mercury...

SR contradicts itself. Why try to defend any of it?
http://www.scisite.info/wilson's_paradox.jpg

Henry Wilson DSc
Self-delusion is the Scourge of the SRian..