Old July 30th 03, 03:54 AM
Davoud

Default [ANN] Mars24 is 5.0, released 2003-07-28 - Free Java Software

John Steinberg:
From the good people at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies...

My Tidy Review:
Runs very well as a stand-alone application under OS X...

Tidy, indeed! Thank you very much. To save others the a minute or two,
the D/L link is http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/mars24/.

*****

While I have your attention (I hope), do you have first-hand knowledge
as to whether Maxim CCD/DL is fully functional under VPC on OS X? The
Cyanogen FAQ says:

"Q: Can you use MaxIm DL/CCD to control a CCD camera on a Macintosh?

A: In most cases no, only the image processing functions will work; but
there are exceptions. Most cameras will not work on a Macintosh since
the interface hardware is not compatible. Parallel port, plug-in card,
and SCSI interfaces will not work. A number of customers have reported
that serial and USB interfaces work under Virtual PC; however, this has
not been tested by our staff and we cannot guarantee correct
operation."

I haven't been able to locate any of those customers who have reported
success (presumably with the USBSerial adapter). I have such an
adapter, and I'd be delighted to send it to Cyanogen as a gift. But
they probably don't have a Mac to try it on, and I can't afford to send
them any of my Macs just now. And I'd rather stick with film than
invest in Wintel hardware again! (When other folks say things like this
I accuse them of cutting off their noses to spite their faces.)

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com