Old July 4th 03, 03:56 PM
Henry Spencer

Default AvLeak's all-time top 100 stars of aerospace & aviation list

In article ,
Dale wrote:
Weird list. Why is Will Rogers on it (at #46), but Wiley Ford isn't?
John Glenn is at #89; 25 places below "Wrong Way" Corrigan?

Al Shepard is much higher than Yuri Gagarin.

Richard Branson is way above Korolev.

Willy Ley and Chesley Bonestell aren't there at all.

Yeager is there, but Crossfield, Apt, Walker, Kincheloe, etc. aren't.

Rickenbacker, von Richthofen, Boyington, Bader, etc. are there --
charismatic fighter pilots, yes, but contributors to aviation?? -- and
Erich Hartmann isn't.

The Challenger crew (killed on a supposedly-routine flight) are there, but
Vladimir Komarov (killed testing a new manned spacecraft) is missing.

Langley (who as far as I know, never got anything to fly) is near the
top, while Paul MacCready (Gossamer Condor etc.) is nowhere to be found.

It's good that Burt Rutan is listed, but I miss Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager
(it was they and their helpers, not Burt, who built Voyager).

Tsiolkovsky, who came first but was too little known to be very influential,
is there, but Oberth isn't.

Bleriot below Eiffel? Curtiss and Messerschmitt and Boeing but not Fokker
or de Havilland or Mikoyan?? James Van Allen but not Max Faget or William
Pickering???

A very strange list.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |