Old August 22nd 18, 04:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Load and Go a Go

Jeff Findley wrote on Tue, 21 Aug 2018
19:51:37 -0400:

In article ,
says...

On 2018-08-21 05:06, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Unnecessary. Any dummies will get the same g forces as the rest of
the capsule.

Do the seats/couches provide any G force reduction? Or are they "fixed"
and protect the occupants by being perfectly moulded like on Soyuz?

Seats don't reduce G forces. If we could do that, we'd have literal
anti-gravity beds here on earth so that patients in the hospital would
never get bedsores.

If there is some suspension provided by the seats to cushion landing,
you will want to have human-like mass on the seats with G force sensors.

Like Fred said, dummies. Specifically, instrumented "crash test"
dummies. They're used in the aerospace industry as well as the
automotive industry. They mimic the mass, strength, and etc of a human
and are instrumented to measure the accelerations at various parts of
the dummy's body. They're literally "off the shelf" items.

Actually, I think the whole 'dummy test' scenario is unnecessary. Were
dummies used to test the Shuttle or Apollo or Gemini or Mercury?

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."