Old October 16th 12, 09:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

Default Cold-weather pants

On 10/15/12 4:30 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
I'm "covered" from the butt up; below that, flannel-lined jeans don't
provide me enough warmth when I'm sitting or standing still, and it's 20
or 30 F degrees out. What do you cold-weather observers wear to keep you
warm? I would think down pants would be ideal, but I'm not willing to
spend $160, which is the least expensive of those I've seen so far.

Two requirements; insulating and windproofing.

Expedition weight longjohns from discount online for insulation - should
run in the $25 range.
Cheap waterproof rainpants for outerwear - bungee around boots and waist
to keep air infiltration down.

Also most heat is lost through the extremities - hands, feet, head; NOT
through torso, arms, legs. You need windproof fleece hat, gloves, and
Sorel style boots.

Take lessons from skiers, they've been out there in much colder weather,
and there's a lot more of them so prices can be lower, especially online.