Old May 3rd 17, 10:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default L.I.F.E.

In article ,
says...

NASA acknowledges that organic matter exists in the surface of mars?

[just put one sentence. No arguments of course]

Cite? A description of this 'organic matter'?

This one was easy to find:

Dec. 16, 2014
NASA Goddard Instrument Makes First Detection of
Organic Matter on Mars
https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard...organic-matter

From above:

The team responsible for the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM)
instrument suite on NASA's Curiosity rover has made the first
definitive detection of organic molecules at Mars. Organic
molecules are the building blocks of all known forms of
terrestrial life, and consist of a wide variety of molecules
made primarily of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms.

No doubt this is what got Jacob all worked up. But, that was
*immediately* followed in the same paragraph, with:

However, organic molecules can also be made by chemical
reactions that don't involve life, and there is not enough
evidence to tell if the matter found by the team came from
ancient Martian life or from a non-biological process.
Examples of non-biological sources include chemical
reactions in water at ancient Martian hot springs or
delivery of organic material to Mars by interplanetary
dust or fragments of asteroids and comets.

So nothing definitive, just like every other "indication" of life on
Mars (present or just past).

Jeff