Old September 21st 04, 11:55 PM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

September 21, 2004

ed kyle wrote:

Why not do a privately funded unmanned mission(s) instead?

Because the world won't be glued to their TV sets and radios for a week
straight, and then go straight to the theatres to see the movie, in
droves. It's all about excitement and drama. Remember what's his name
.... Lindbergh? Imagine if he had a digital video recorder with him, and
made a movie of his flight. We are talking about a week of intense
worldwide space advocacy here.

Wouldn't that accomplish most of these goals? And might
it not be possible to use a cheaper launch vehicle
than Delta IV-M (Delta II, Rokot, Falcon) to actually put
an unmanned spacecraft in lunar orbit?

But then it wouldn't be hydrogen powered, and believe me, that is the point.

Thomas Lee Elifritz
http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net