Old October 17th 03, 03:05 PM
Jorge R. Frank

Default Which operating system is used in spacecraft?

This might post double, having news server problems...

(Derek Lyons) wrote in
:

"Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to \"s\""
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:52:10 -0700, "Tweak"
wrote:

Which operating system/systems is currently being used in
spacecrafts? Was FlightLinux implemented as the standard? Any
information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The shuttle carries a number of laptop computers that run on Windows
variants (I'm not sure if the latest version is Win98 or Win2k).

Win98SE.

The
ISS uses Solaris, I think.

Nit: Some ISS laptops (PCS) use Solaris, others (SSC) run Windows. At least
one of the SSC laptops runs Win2K - it's used as a file server.

Nit: Those laptops are used *on* spacecraft, not *in* spacecraft, as
they are not used for control, but for administrative tasks.

Nit to the nit: the ISS PCS laptops *are* used to control the station (not
the SSC laptops, which are, as you say, used for administrative tasks).

Death of a thousand nits!

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.