Old April 18th 18, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Hey, hook this up to a scope!

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 06:36:33 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:

Wow. The article mentioned a camera in the $30,000-$40,000 range I didn't
know about, the Phase One medium format system. So they finally have
true full-frame sensors in the Hasselblad size; and now this, 8 by 10 glass plate size.

I don't really see the point, though. The main reason that large
format film was popular was that you got higher resolution. There are
plenty of ordinary digital cameras that exceed the resolution of this
8x10 format camera. In principle the huge pixels should allow for
great dynamic range, but it doesn't seem like they're really getting
much improvement there.

So it really just comes down to the mechanics of it, and the ability
to play some cute tricks with the alignment of the optics. Maybe
there's a limited market for that, although I doubt there's much you
can do with tilting the focal plane that you can't do already in
Photoshop.