Old January 28th 05, 01:35 AM
Greg Neill

wrote in message
oups.com...
1. Does anyone know if the classical calculation of the perihelion of
Mercury accounts for the attraction of the sun by Mercury?

I stumbled on an interesting article that discusses flaws in Newton's
theory, and which suggests that the sun's motion is neglected even for
the most accurate calculations.
It would be surprising if that were true!

2. It also suggests that when taking it into account, the correct
answer may be found. Any ideas if htat could be right?
http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/L...pers/gravi.pdf
Regretfully I know nothing about astronomy.

Harald

Attempts to calculate the precession of the perihelion of
Mercury by purely classical means have taken into account any
number of influences, including of course the motion of the
Sun. Newton's theory is completely symmetric when expressed
as differential equations to solve the problem.

Amongst the other factors included in "heavy duty" analyses
include the influences of other solar system bodies, and
the oblateness of the Sun due to its rotation.

No amount of fiddling around with classical mechanics can
produce the correct result.