Old October 10th 04, 12:27 PM
Herb Schaltegger

(AA Institute) wrote:

Since each discrete particle in a ring system, such as the one I
envision here, is effectively a *satellite* in its own right, and the
individual particles are orbiting the Earth at appreciably different
distances (the ring has some *width*), the above equation - along with
another similar equation - can be used to show that under certain
favourable orientations of a ring system the particles are unlikely to
scatter significantly.

Probably doesn't make too much sense here... I am working on a short
paper to better illustrate this, which I hope to make available when I
get some spare time.

Abdul

Except that you ignore the assumptions and initial conditions which go
into the derivation of such equations - one of the most important being
that it is for one object orbiting another, ignoring the effects of
other masses. This will not work for accurately simulating any ring
system, least of all one subject to the influence of an object the size
and distance of the Moon.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."